A sword and fasces 3/4 inch in height, crossed and wreathed in gold color metal with the inscription "DROIT ET AVANT" (Right and Forward) in blue enamel on the upper part of the wreath.
On 26 February 1890, the Inspector General's insignia was approved by the Secretary of War. It consists of a crossed sword and fasces, with wreath. The fasces, composed of an axe in a bundle of rods, was a symbol of authority of Roman magistrates.
There are no Inspector General units; however the insignia is used on the positional flag for The Inspector General.
The plaque design has the Inspector General insignia, letters, and rim in gold. The motto lettering and background are dark blue.
Dark Blue piped with light blue. Dark blue - 65012 cloth; 67126 yarn; PMS 539. Light blue - 65014 cloth; 67120 yarn; PMS 5415
The Inspector General's Department in 1851 had pompons of buff with upper one third in scarlet. In 1915, specifications established the facings as dark blue. The 14 October 1921 regulation established the colors as dark blue piped with white. Circular #70, dated 18 October 1936 announced the exchange of colors with the Judge Advocate General's Department that resulted in the present colors.