Heraldic Services and Support Division
- Performs research and prepares studies for development of policy, furnishes advice
and information to agencies concerning federal heraldic designs and associated traditions
- Initiates, develops, reviews and coordinates legislative and regulatory materials
- Provides project management support for projects including Army, Air Force, DOD,
ROTC/JROTC, Navy USMC, USCG and all other unformed and civilian federal agencies
- Plans and conducts budgetary and finance and accounting activities.
- Administers personnel management and administrative functions to include records
management, Information Technology and website administration
- Prepares letters of authorization and other official documentation for heraldic
- Prepares replies to inquiries concerning current and historic heraldic items and
advises units of requirements for insignia and flags
Heraldic Design Division
- Designs heraldic items including insignia, awards and decorations, flags and seals
for all military branches, ROTC/JROTC as well as federal uniformed and civilian
- Advises on matters relating to official symbolism and the laws and principles of
- Prepares heraldic blazons, descriptions and symbolism for all designs
- Develops and maintains patterns for flags and guidons authorized for military branches
and all federal agencies
- Prepares full color illustrations and line drawings for use in the manufacture and
production of heraldic items
- Produces finished plaques for Office of the President and Vice President
Technical and Production Division
- Serves as the DOD standardization activity for FSC 8455 and 8345 and coordinates standardization
actions with other services and GSA.
- Provides advice to DSCP and commands on engineering and procurement and takes final action
on any waivers or deviations for procurement.
- Evaluates research and development studies and determines changes in materials,testing
or packaging requirements.
- Monitors quality assurance program to ensure effectiveness.
- Furnishes engineering support to government agencies and manufacturers.
- Administers the Army and Air Force heraldic quality control program for items sold through
commercial sources (e.g., AAFES).
- Certifies civilian firms to manufacture heraldic items and items incorporating heraldic designs
sold through commercial channels.
- Develops specifications for heraldic items and ensure documents are sufficient for procurement.
- Conducts research and development studies to develop acceptable heraldic items to meet
- Initiates contracts for purchase of new tools and cartoons required for manufacture of
- Obtains, maintains, and controls organizational and mission property, supplies and services.
- Loans tools and samples to manufacturers for production of heraldic items