New York Army National Guard Element Joint Force Headquarters
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia
On an ultramarine blue trapezoid with a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) scarlet border, 3 1/4 inches (8.26 cm) in height and 2 1/2 inches (6.35 cm) in width overall, a scarlet sword surmounted by a stylized yellow crown of seven points.
New York State is represented by the crown, recalling the crown on the Statue of Liberty, symbol of the city and state, which emphasizes the traditional freedoms long associated with New York. The sword represents the National Guard and denotes readiness. Blue refers to the many waterways and natural water resources of New York and is taken from the state flag. Red reflects courage; gold is for excellence.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally authorized for Headquarters, State Area Command, New York Army National Guard on 18 February 1994. It was redesignated effective 1 October 2003, for the New York Army National Guard Element, Joint Force Headquarters and amended to update the description. (TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-811)
Distinctive Unit Insignia
A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) in height consisting of a shield divided per pairle white, red and blue and bearing the crest for the Army National Guard of the State of New York proper (on a wreath orange and blue, the full rigged ship "Half Moon" in gold).
The red, white and blue of the shield are the national colors of the United States. The crest is Henry Hudson's ship "Half Moon" in which he discovered and explored the Hudson River in 1609. The twists of the wreath are orange and blue, the color of the house of Nassau and refers to the original settlement of New York by the Dutch.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the Sate Staff and Detachment and 27th Infantry Division Headquarters, Headquarters Company, and Division Headquarters Detachment, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment Special Troops, New York National Guard on 9 June 1930. It was redesignated for the 42d Replacement Company, New York National Guard on 14 November 1956. It was redesignated for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and noncolor bearing units of the New York Army National Guard on 5 February 1971. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 February 1983, for Headquarters, State Area Command, New York Army National Guard. It was redesignated effective 1 October 2003, for the New York Army National Guard Element, Joint Force Headquarters and amended to update the description.
That for regiments and separate battalions of the New York Army National Guard: From a wreath of colors, the full rigged ship "Half Moon" all Proper.
The crest is Henry Hudson's ship "Half Moon" in which he discovered the Hudson River in 1609.
The crest was approved for the color bearing organizations of the State of New York on 29 December 1922.