507 Infantry Regiment
Distinctive Unit Insignia
A silver color metal and enamel 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Per bend Azure and Argent, on the First an open parachute of the Last, on the Second a lightning flash of the First; attached below the shield a blue scroll inscribed "DOWN TO EARTH" in silver letters.
Blue is the color associated with Infantry. The open parachute symbolizes the parachute functions of the regiment and the lightning flash indicates the speed by which the allotted duties are preformed. The motto further describes the parachute functions of the organization.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment on 21 Jan 1943. It was redesignated and amended to update the description and symbolism for the 507th Infantry Regiment on 22 Oct 1985.
Coat Of Arms
Per bend Azure and Argent, on the First an open parachute of the Last, on the Second a lightning flash of the First.
On a wreath Argent and Azure, two lightning bolts in saltire, the volt in bend Azure, the other Or, between two springs of oak fructed Proper, the acorns connected in base by a gold key fesswise with bow at dexter, and issuing palewise between the lighting bolts a black widow spider (Latrodectus mactans) head to chief Proper, with hourglass marking tenné.
DOWN TO EARTH.
Blue is the color of the Infantry. The open parachute symbolizes the parachute functions of the regiment and the lightning flash indicates the speed by which the allotted duties are performed.
The black widow spider was the unofficial symbol of the unit in World War II, black and orange being the colors associated with the unit. The lightning bolts represent two airborne assaults; the blue bolt recalls the Presidential Unit Citation for action on the Contentin Peninsula; the gold refers to the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 17th Airborne Division, of which the unit was a part. The bolts also represent action from the sky and the speed with which allocated duties are performed. The oak sprigs symbolize service in the Ardennes during the Battle of the Bulge. The key refers to the Rhineland as the key to Germany's heartland.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment on 21 Jan 1943. It was redesignated for the 507th Infantry Regiment and amended to add a crest and update the shield symbolism on 4 Feb 1986.