109TH ENGINEER BATTALION
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia

Description
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per bend indented Argent and Gules, a prickly pear cactus Proper between in chief a castle of the like (from the Spanish Campaign Medal) and in base a fleur-de-lis of the first. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Silver scroll inscribed “ALLONS Y FAIRE” in Red letters.

Symbolism
The shield is white and red, the Engineer Corps colors, divided diagonally by a saw tooth partition line to signify combat Engineers. The castle is taken from the Spanish Campaign Medal and represents service during the Philippine Insurrection, the cactus is for Mexican Border duty, and the fleur-de-lis symbolizes World War service. The motto translates to “Let’s Go Do It.”

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 109th Engineer Regiment on 23 May 1927. It was redesignated for the 109th Engineer Battalion on 2 September 1943. The insignia was amended to add a motto on 15 October 1968.




Coat of Arms

Coat of Arms

Blazon

Shield

Per bend indented Argent and Gules a prickly pear cactus Proper between in chief a castle of the like (from the Spanish Campaign Medal), and in base a fleur-de-lis of the first.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the South Dakota Army National Guard: From a wreath Argent and Gules, a coyote statant Proper.

Motto

ALLONS Y FAIRE (Let’s Go Do It).

Symbolism

Shield

The shield is white and red, the colors associated with the Engineer Corps, divided diagonally by a saw tooth partition line to signify combat Engineers. The castle is taken from the Spanish Campaign Medal and represents service during the Philippine Insurrection, the cactus is for Mexican Border duty, and the fleur-de-lis symbolizes World War service.

Crest

The crest is that of the South Dakota Army National Guard.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 109th Engineer Regiment on 23 May 1927. It was redesignated for the 109th Engineer Battalion on 2 September 1943. It was rescinded (cancelled) on 22 December 1969. The insignia was reinstated for the 109th Engineer Battalion on 13 January 1999.





Jump to Top