A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Argent, a bend between a bridge bent and a mullet of twelve rays (a burst) Gules. Attached below the shield a Red scroll inscribed “ECCE SIGNUM” in Silver letters.
The diagonal band symbolizes a road; a major line of effort of the organization being road maintenance and construction. The twelve pointed star, or “burst” represents demolition work. The conventionalized outline of a standard trestle bent, signifies bridge construction and repair. The motto translates to “Behold The Sign.”
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 96th Engineer Battalion on 16 March 1942. It was redesignated for the 96th Engineer Combat Battalion on 3 June 1952. The insignia was redesignated for the 96th Engineer Battalion on 6 February 1968.