579TH ENGINEER BATTALION
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia

Description
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 5/32 inches (2.94 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per fess engrailed Argent and Gules, on a pile Azure that part over the second fimbriated of the first between a shovel and a bayonet counterchanged of the field a spouting Pacific Right Whale naiant Silver. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Silver scroll inscribed “SEMPER LABORANTES” in Red letters.

Symbolism
Red and white are the colors of the Corps of Engineers. Blue refers to the organization’s descent from an Infantry Regiment. The shovel and bayonet allude to the Engineer combat mission of the Battalion. The Pacific Right Whale symbolizes the campaign honors awarded the unit for service in the Pacific during World War II. The motto translates to “Always Working.”

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 20 January 1954. It was amended to correct the description on 30 August 1954.




Coat of Arms

Coat of Arms

Blazon

Shield

Per fess engrailed Argent and Gules, on a pile Azure that part over the second fimbriated of the first between a shovel and a bayonet counterchanged of the field a spouting Pacific Right Whale naiant Silver.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the California Army National Guard: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Gules, the setting sun behind a grizzly bear passant on a grassy field all Proper.

Motto

SEMPER LABORANTES (Always Working).

Symbolism

Shield

Red and white are the colors of the Corps of Engineers. Blue refers to the organization’s descent from an Infantry Regiment. The shovel and bayonet allude to the Engineer combat mission of the Battalion. The Pacific Right Whale symbolizes the campaign honors awarded the unit for service in the Pacific during World War II.

Crest

The crest is that of the California Army National Guard.

Background
The coat of arms was approved on 20 January 1954. It was amended to correct the blazon of the shield on 30 August 1954.





Jump to Top