RUTGERS - THE STATE UNIVERSITY SROTC, NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
Skip Navigation Links.
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

Description
On a red shield shaped embroidered item edged with a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) black border; displaying a crown above the enlarged letter ''Q'' in script and between the numerals ''17'' and ''66'', all black. Attached above a red scroll, edged black and inscribed ''RUTGERS'', in black. Overall dimension is 2 7/8 (7.30 cm) wide and 3 5/8 inches (9.21cm) in high.

Symbolism
Scarlet and black are the school colors. The date 1766 denotes inauguration of the university through land granted by King George III. The enlarged scripted ‘Q’ symbolizes the historical name of Rutgers University as Queens College, in honor of the king’s wife, Queen Charlotte. In 1825, the college was renamed RUTGERS after Henry Rutgers, a United States Revolutionary War and philanthropist from New York City, New York, whose generous donation rescued Queen’s College, which at the time was suffering considerable financial difficulties and temporarily closed.

Background
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally authorized 21 November 1955. It was amended to update the description, symbolism and the manufactured drawing on 3 January 2014. (TIOH Drawing Number A-10S-216).




Shoulder Loop Insignia

Shoulder Loop Insignia

Description
A Silver and enamel shield shaped device 1 1/8 inch (2.86cm) high overall blazoned as follows: Gules, a crown Argent (Silver). Attached above the shield, a silver scroll inscribed ''RUTGERS'' and below the shield, a silver scroll inscribed “1766” in black letters.

Symbolism
Scarlet and black are the school colors. The date 1766 denotes inauguration of the university through land granted by King George III. The enlarged scripted ‘Q’ symbolizes the historical name of Rutgers University as Queens College, in honor of the king’s wife, Queen Charlotte. In 1825, the college was renamed RUTGERS after Henry Rutgers, a United States Revolutionary War and philanthropist from New York City, New York, whose generous donation rescued Queen’s College, which at the time was suffering considerable financial difficulties and temporarily closed.

Background
The shoulder loop insignia was originally authorized 20 May 1960. It was amended to update the description and symbolism on 3 January 2014.





Jump to Top