On a red shield shaped embroidered item edged with a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) black border; displaying a crown above the enlarged letter ''Q'' in script and between the numerals ''17'' and ''66'', all black. Attached above a red scroll, edged black and inscribed ''RUTGERS'', in black. Overall dimension is 2 7/8 (7.30 cm) wide and 3 5/8 inches (9.21cm) in high.
Scarlet and black are the school colors. The date 1766 denotes inauguration of the university through land granted by King George III. The enlarged scripted ‘Q’ symbolizes the historical name of Rutgers University as Queens College, in honor of the king’s wife, Queen Charlotte. In 1825, the college was renamed RUTGERS after Henry Rutgers, a United States Revolutionary War and philanthropist from New York City, New York, whose generous donation rescued Queen’s College, which at the time was suffering considerable financial difficulties and temporarily closed.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally authorized 21 November 1955. It was amended to update the description, symbolism and the manufactured drawing on 3 January 2014. (TIOH Drawing Number A-10S-216).