A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per pale Vert and Gules over a broken spur gear, fracture to sinister base, a cannon tube bendwise mouth to chief, all Argent. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Silver scroll inscribed “UNQI’E WOWAS’AK’E UNU’HA’PI” in Red letters.
The split fields of green and scarlet illustrate the versatility and two-fold job of the Maintenance Battalion in the armored force and the fusion into one unit. The silver broken gear indicates the responsibilities of the Battalion in regard to all vehicles, and the dexter silver cannon represents the armament sections, while both show the formidable strength of the organization. The motto in American Indian translates to “We Maintain Strength” meaning because the Battalion is the heartbeat of the Armored Division, maintaining as nearly its total strength as possible to allow it to continue to fight. Strength is within the Battalion itself, as applied to its own vehicles, personnel and fire power. The motto is taken from the Sioux language spoken by the powerful, aggressive Sioux tribe of Dakota.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 4th Armored Maintenance Battalion on 10 October 1942. It was redesignated for the 126th Armored Ordnance Battalion and amended to correct the wording in the blazonry of the shield on 6 October 1954. It was redesignated for the 126th Ordnance Battalion on 7 March 1958. The insignia was redesignated for the 126th Maintenance Battalion on 17 June 1963.