489TH ENGINEER BATTALION
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia

Description
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 3/32 inches (2.78 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Argent, two piles Gules issuant from dexter and sinister chief meeting in base point each charged with an escallop of the field. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Silver scroll inscribed “AU FORT DU COMBAT” in Red letters.

Symbolism
Scarlet and white are the colors of the Corps of Engineers. The pile, an ancient heraldic symbol, represents the function of military Engineers. The two piles, each charged with an escallop, symbolize the organization’s participation in two campaigns in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater during World War II. The motto translates to “In the Thick of the Fight.”

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 1 May 1956.




Coat of Arms

Coat Of Arms

Blazon

Shield

Argent, two piles Gules issuant from dexter and sinister chief meeting in base point each charged with an escallop of the field.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Army Reserve: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Gules, the Lexington Minute Man Proper. The statue of the Minute Man, Captain John Parker (H.H. Kitson, sculptor), stands on the common in Lexington, Massachusetts.

Motto

AU FORT DU COMBAT (In The Thick Of The Fight).

Symbolism

Shield

Scarlet and white are the colors of the Corps of Engineers. The pile, an ancient heraldic symbol, represents the function of military Engineers. The two piles, each charged with an escallop, symbolize the organization’s participation in two campaigns in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater during World War II.

Crest

The crest is that of the United States Army Reserve.

Background
The coat of arms was approved on 1 May 1956.





Jump to Top