280TH ARTILLERY REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia

Description
A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules, on a pile Or voided of the field a stand of grape of the second, in nombril point an annulet counterchanged. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Gold scroll inscribed “POTENTIA MURI LAPIDI” in Red letters.

Symbolism
The colors scarlet and yellow are used for Artillery. The ring around the poi8nt of the “V” symbolizes the unit’s home station of Manassas, historically Manassas Junction, an important rail center during the War Between the States. The stand of grape is for the customary front line mission of field artillery. The motto translates to “Strength or Might of a Stone Wall.”

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 280th Field Artillery Battalion on 7 January 1958. It was redesignated for the 280th Artillery Regiment on 9 May 1960.




Coat of Arms

Coat Of Arms

Blazon

Shield

Gules, on a pile Or voided of the field a stand of grape of the second, in nombril point an annulet counterchanged.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Virginia Army National Guard: On a wreath of the floors Or and Gules, “Virtus the genius of the Commonwealth dressed as an Amazon, resting on a spear with one hand and holding a sword in the other; and treading on Tyranny, represented by a man prostrate, a crown falling from his head, a broken chain in his left hand and a scourge in his right” all Proper.

Motto

POTENTIA MURI LAPIDI (Strength Or Might Of A Stone Wall).

Symbolism

Shield

The colors scarlet and yellow are used for Artillery. The ring around the poi8nt of the “V” symbolizes the unit’s home station of Manassas, historically Manassas Junction, an important rail center during the War Between the States. The stand of grape is for the customary front line mission of field artillery.

Crest

The crest is that of the Virginia Army National Guard.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 280th Field Artillery Battalion on 7 January 1958. It was redesignated for the 280th Artillery Regiment on 9 May 1960.





Jump to Top