420TH INFANTRY REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia

Description
A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure a testudo of three shields Or in chief a Roman sword fessways of the like. Attached above the shield a red scroll inscribed ‘UBIQUE IMPAVIDI” in Gold letters.

Symbolism
The field is blue, as Tanks belong to the Infantry. One of the earliest examples of the equivalent of a Tank was the old Roman Testudo made by joining shields together so that protection and mobility were obtained at the same time with offensive power. To indicate these characteristics of a Tank unit, three shields in gold are joined to represent the testudo, and to represent offensive power there is a Roman sword in gold. The motto translates to “In All Things Undaunted.”

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 321st Tank Battalion on 20 May 1924. It was redesignated for the 309th Tank Regiment on 3 June 1931. The insignia was redesignated for the 420th Infantry Regiment on 16 November 1932. It was rescinded on 2 February 1959.




Coat of Arms

Coat Of Arms

Blazon

Shield

Azure a testudo of three shields Or in chief a Roman sword fessways of the like.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Army Reserve: On a wreath of the colors Or and Azure, the Lexington Minute Man Proper. The statue of the Minute Man, Captain John Parker (H.H. Kitson, sculptor), stands on the Common in Lexington, Massachusetts.

Motto

UBIQUE IMPAVIDI (In All Things Undaunted).

Symbolism

Shield

The field is blue, as Tanks belong to the Infantry. One of the earliest examples of the equivalent of a Tank was the old Roman Testudo made by joining shields together so that protection and mobility were obtained at the same time with offensive power. To indicate these characteristics of a Tank unit, three shields in gold are joined to represent the testudo, and to represent offensive power there is a Roman sword in gold.

Crest

The crest is that of the United States Army Reserve.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 321st Tank Battalion on 7 May 1924. It was redesignated for the 309th Tank Regiment on 3 June 1931. The insignia was redesignated for the 420th Infantry Regiment on 16 November 1932. It was rescinded on 2 February 1959.





Jump to Top