4TH SUPPORT BATTALION
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Or on a bend Gules a fleur-de-lis of the field. Attached below the shield a Gold scroll inscribed "STRENGTH THRU SUPPORT" in Black letters.

Symbolism
The shield is gold, the nearest heraldic equivalent to the Quartermaster buff, which is representative of the original service of the organization. The red bend is from the arms of Lorraine, the gold fleur-de-lis from the Arms of Ile-de-France.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 4th Supply and Transport Battalion on 2 December 1963. It was redesignated for the 4th Support Battalion with the description and symbolism revised on 2 June 1987.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Or on a bend Gules a fleur-de-lis of the field.

Crest

On a wreath of the colors a sword, point down, and key, wards down, in saltire Or encircled by the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 4th Division Proper, overall the winged helmet of Mercury of the first.

Motto

STRENGTH THRU SUPPORT.

Symbolism

Shield

This organization took part in operations in Lorraine and in Ile-de-France. The shield is gold, the nearest heraldic equivalent to the Quartermaster buff, which is representative of the original service of the organization. The red bend is from the Arms of Lorraine, the gold fleur-de-lis from the Arms of Ile-de-France.

Crest

The crest has the shoulder insignia of the Division, the sword and key from the insignia of the Quartermaster Corps and Mercury's helmet from the insignia of the Motor Transport Corps during World War I.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 4th Division Train, Quartermaster Corps on 28 June 1921. It was redesignated for the 4th Quartermaster Regiment on 30 December 1937. It was redesignated for the 4th Quartermaster Battalion on 8 May 1941. The insignia was rescinded on 6 February 1957. It was reinstated and redesignated for the 4th Supply and Transportation Battalion on 2 December 1963. It was amended to add the motto on 2 December 1963. The insignia was redesignated for the 4th Support Battalion with the symbolism revised on 2 June 1987.





Jump to Top