A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 inch (2.54 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per bend wavy Gules and Argent, on the first a sea horse naiant of the second.
Scarlet and white are the colors of the Corps of Engineers. The wavy division represents the sea; the sea horse commemorates the amphibious operations and symbolizes the organization's activities and participation in marine transportation operations.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 36th Engineer Regiment (Combat) on 1 August 1942. It was redesignated for the 36th Engineer Battalion on 1 July 1953.