ShieldGules, the back of the dexter mailed fist Proper grasping a portable ramp Argent.
CrestOn a wreath of the colors Argent and Gules, an embattled tower Azure issuant from a mound of snow Proper supporting a lion rampant Or holding in dexter forepaw an acorn of the last slipped and leaved Vert surmounting and extending above the tower, and in base the upper part of two spears saltirewise, shafts of the second, heads Vert and tied at the center of the like.
MottoWE PAVE THE WAY.
ShieldThe shield is red for Engineers and the mailed fist is indicative of the power and aggressiveness of the organization, while the portable ramp indicates one of its functions.
CrestThe Battalion's World War II service for which it was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation (Army), "Ardennes" is indicated by the blue embattled tower in the color of the citation streamer and signifying the unit's repeated attacks against fortified towns. The white mound denotes the Belgian Ardennes campaign generally known as the Battle of the Bulge and also refers to the heavy snow and icy conditions which created additional hazardous obstacles. The gold rampant lion is from the coat of arms of Belgium and the acorn with leaves alludes to the great forests of the Ardennes and to the oak an emblem of courage. The colors green and red refer to the colors of the Belgian Fourragere awarded the organization in World War II. The two spears allude to the Battalion's service as an element of the 2d Armored Division which spearheaded the action in Belgium and pierced the enemy's defenses in the Ardennes. The arrowheads on the spears also refer to participation in two assault landings, Algeria-French Morocco, and Sicily, World War II.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 17th Engineer Battalion (Armored) on 19 May 1941. It was redesignated for the 17th Armored Engineer Battalion on 14 December 1951. It was redesignated for the 17th Engineer Battalion on 21 November 1958. The insignia was amended to add a crest on 29 September 1974.