A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/8 inches (3.49 cm) in height overall consisting of a white cloud formation on a blue shield with a gold base. The shield is surmounted by a maroon building fašade, the central tower bearing a tiger face between a clock above with a hands set at 4:00 and the two U.S. flags crossed below. Overall in base a green stylized stone charged with a gold palmetto tree between the letters "S" and "C," also gold. Attached below the device a white scroll inscribed "THIS WE'LL DEFEND" in gold letters.
Burnt orange (gold), white and northwest purple (maroon) are the traditional colors of the University. The building signifies Tillman Hall, the main building of Clemson College, established 1893. The hands of the clock are set at 4:00 p.m., the time of daily drill for the cadets, and reflect the long heritage of ROTC at the University. The Bengal tiger is the school's mascot. The American flags symbolize the cadets' dedication to state and country. The foundation stone, bearing the state tree, and the abbreviation, "S" "C", indicate the prominence of the University within the state.
The shoulder loop insignia was authorized on 5 April 1995.