50TH ARMORED DIVISION
Skip Navigation Links.
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia


Description/Blazon
On an equilateral triangle 3 inches (7.62 cm) in height one point up, divided into three sections, the upper section yellow, the dexter section blue, and the sinister section red, a gun bendwise in front of a tank track and wheels all black and overall a red lightning flash bendsinisterwise. In the apex the Arabic numeral "50" in black, all within a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) Army green border. Worn 1/8 inch (.32 cm) below the triangle a tab 3 7/8 inches (9.84cm) in length and 3/4 inch (1.91 cm) in height overall, consisting of a yellow background inscribed "JERSEY BLUES" in blue letters 5/16 inch (.79 cm) in height within a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) Army green border.

Symbolism
Yellow, blue and red are the colors of the branches from which armored units were formed. The tank tread, gun and lightning flash are symbolic of mobility, power and speed. The Division's designation is in Arabic numerals.

Background
The shoulder sleeve insignia was approved on 14 February 1956. It was amended to change the description and include a border on 18 February 1965. (TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-357)




Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 5/32 inches (2.94 cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Per pairle Or, Gules and Azure, the crest for the Army National Guard of the State of New Jersey, Proper - From a wreath Argent and Gules, a lion's head erased Or collared of four fusils Gules.

Symbolism
The original settlements in the state were English and Dutch. The coats of arms of both countries bear lions. The original proprietor was Sir George Carteret whose arms bore the four red lozenges. As the predominant permanent settlement was of English origin, the twists of the wreath are white and red.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 44th Infantry Division Headquarters on 8 November 1928. It was rescinded on 27 August 1954. The insignia was reinstated and redesignated for the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 50th Armored Division on 26 December 1956. It was amended by substitution of yellow for white in the upper portion of the shield and authorized for the noncolor bearing units of the 50th Armored Division on 8 January 1969.





Jump to Top