297TH INFANTRY REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per fess enhanced dancetté Azure and Argent, in base the Tlingit Indian eagle Sable, armed Or and garnished of the second. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Blue scroll inscribed "YUH YEK" in Silver letters.

Symbolism
Blue and white are used for Infantry organizations. The zigzag partition line represents mountains and is for service in Alaska, World War II. The Indian eagle symbol is used by the Tlingit Indians of Southeast Alaska, the home area of the Battalion. The motto translates to "Vigilance, Watchfulness."

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 208th Infantry Battalion on 5 March 1952. It was redesignated for the 297th Infantry Regiment on 18 July 1960.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Per fess enhanced dancetté Azure and Argent, in base the Tlingit Indian eagle Sable, armed Or and garnished of the second.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Alaska Army National Guard: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Azure, the aurora borealis blended from dexter base Purple through Red, Orange, Yellow, to Green to chief and repeated inversely to sinister base behind a totem pole of three figures, an eagle, a bear, and a walrus, paleways affronté all Proper.

Motto

YUH YEK (Vigilance, Watchfulness).

Symbolism

Shield

Blue and white are used for Infantry organizations. The zigzag partition line represents mountains and is for service in Alaska, World War II. The Indian eagle symbol is used by the Tlingit Indians of Southeast Alaska, the home area of the Battalion.

Crest

The crest is that of the Alaska Army National Guard.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 208th Infantry Battalion on 5 March 1952. It was redesignated for the 297th Infantry Regiment and amended to change the word "Gules" to "Or" in the blazonry of the shield on 18 July 1960.





Jump to Top