64TH ARMOR REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Argent, the head of a fighting African elephant Sable, tusks Proper. Attached below the shield a Black scroll inscribed "WE PIERCE" in Silver letters.

Symbolism
The elephant symbolizes the heavy assault of a tank battalion. He was used in ancient times to lead the attack in a manner comparable to the present day armored organizations.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 758th Tank Battalion on 27 February 1942. It was redesignated for the 64th Tank Battalion on30 April 1952. The insignia was redesignated for the 64th Armor Regiment on 3 April 1963.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Argent, the head of a fighting African elephant Sable, tusks Proper.

Crest

On a wreath of the colors Argent and Sable mounted on a trophy base Or charged with a Taeguk two elephant tusks Proper supporting a Catherine wheel Gules charged on the hub with a bezant, all in front of a mount of three peaks Vert.

Motto

WE PIERCE.

Symbolism

Shield

The elephant symbolizes the heavy assault of a tank battalion. He was used in ancient times to lead the attack in a manner comparable to the present day armored organizations.

Crest

The Catherine wheel with its hooked spikes is an allusion to the armored track vehicle and its function, the spikes further representing eight battle honors in Korea and the gold disc in center referring to the award of the Bravery Gold Medal of Greece. The elephant tusks in a trophy base decorated with a Korea Taeguk are symbolic of two awards of the Korean Presidential Unit Citation. The three peaks allude to service in North Apennines in World War II and the valley between the tusks to the Po Valley campaign.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 758th Tank Battalion on 27 February 1942. It was redesignated for the 64th Tank Battalion on 30 April 1952. The insignia was redesignated for the 64th Armor Regiment on 3 April 1963. It was amended to add a crest on 15 March 1966.





Jump to Top