A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure a fess wavy, in chief a mullet both Argent. Attached below the shield a Silver scroll inscribed "FOR FREEDOM" in Blue letters.
This Regiment was organized at Fort Sam Houston in 1916 and served along the Rio Grande during its first years. The shield is blue for Infantry, with a wavy fess to denote the Rio Grande and the lone star of Texas.
The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 8 January 1941.