On a hexagon, one point up, divided per pairle Argent, Gules and Azure, the Crest for the National Guard of the State of Michigan Proper.
In "LaSalle and the Discovery of the Great West," Parkman describes in Chapter XI et seq., the building of the "Griffin" in 1679 in the calm waters above Niagara Falls. LaSalle built the ship to carry his expedition and supplies through the Great Lakes and carved a griffin for its figure head. He did this in honor of his patron Count Frontenac, the griffin was a portion of the Count's armorial bearings. This was the first white man's ship to navigate the great waters which enclose and are enclosed by Michigan. It sailed through Lake Erie, up the Detroit River past the site of the future city, through Lake St. Clair, up the St. Clair River, through Lake Huron, it stopped at the settlement at Michillimacinac (Macinac Island), visited St. Ignace, sailed into Green Bay and down into Lake Michigan. The original white exploration and settlement within the State was French and that is represented by the gold and blue.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 32d Infantry Division Headquarters, Headquarters Detachment Division Surgeon's Office, Headquarters Special Troops, and Division Headquarters Company, Michigan National Guard on 8 March 1929. It was redesignated for the Headquarters, 46th Infantry Division on 28 March 1949. The insignia was authorized for the noncolor bearing units of the 46th Infantry Division on 21 March 1967. The insignia was rescinded/cancelled on 2 September 1976.