A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure, three chevronels interlaced Or, on a chief of the last (Or) a falcon close and belled Proper. Attached below the shield a tripartite scroll inscribed "TO THE" on the left and "UTMOST" on the right in Black letters.
The colors, blue and gold, in addition to their heraldic significance have been used for some years in connection with regimental athletic uniforms, etc. The falcon "close and belled" signifies "Ready for service though normally at rest," a characterization which fits a National Guard Regiment; furthermore, the speed of the falcon together with the traditional excellence of his sight and vigorous manner of attack are assumed as regimental prototypes. The three chevronels indicate the three occasions on which the organization was in Federal service during the period 1898-1919.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 101s Cavalry Regiment on 3 January 1928. It was redesignated for the 101st Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron on 19 July 1944. It was redesignated for the 101st Armored Cavalry Regiment on 17 September 1951. The insignia was redesignated for the 101st Armor Regiment on 19 April 1962. It was redesignated for the 101st Cavalry Regiment and amended to include the motto on 31 October 1967.