397TH REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per fess dancetté Azure and Sable two bars wavy Argent. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Silver scroll inscribed "DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR" in Black letters.

Symbolism
The shield is blue for Infantry. The black refers to the coal region of West Virginia, specifically between the Monongahela and Ohio Rivers symbolized by the bars wavy, and indicates the area where the Regiment was originally organized. The dancetté of three points commemorates the campaigns in which the organization participated during World War II.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 397th Infantry Regiment on 3 June 1932. It was redesignated for the 397th Parachute Infantry Regiment on 14 December 1948. It was redesignated for the 397th Infantry Regiment on 15 August 1952. The insignia was amended to correct the wording of the redesignation action of 15 August 1952, on 17 March 1954. It was redesignated for the 397th Regiment on 23 August 1960. It was amended to add a motto and revise the symbolism on 30 December 1969. The insignia was amended to correct the symbolism on 3 April 1970.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Per fess dancetté Azure and Sable two bars wavy Argent.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Army Reserve: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Azure the Lexington Minute Man Proper. The statue of the Minute Man, Captain John Parker (H.H. Kitson, sculptor), stands on the Common in Lexington, Massachusetts.

Motto

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR.

Symbolism

Shield

The shield is blue for Infantry. The black refers to the coal region of West Virginia, specifically between the Monongahela and Ohio Rivers symbolized by the bars wavy, and indicates the area where the Regiment was originally organized. The dancetté of three points commemorates the campaigns in which the organization participated during World War II.

Crest

The crest is that of the United States Army Reserve.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 397th Infantry Regiment on 3 June 1932. It was redesignated for the 397th Parachute Infantry Regiment on 14 December 1948. It was redesignated for the 397th Infantry Regiment on 15 August 1952. It was redesignated for the 397th Regiment on 23 August 1960. It was amended to revise the symbolism on 30 December 1969. The insignia was amended to correct the symbolism on 3 April 1970.





Jump to Top