398TH REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure, a bend wavy Argent, to base a Diamond Rattler gliding bendwise Proper. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Silver scroll inscribed "ON THE ALERT" in Black letters.

Symbolism
The shield is blue for Infantry. The bend wavy represents the Kanawha River, the general district to which the organization was originally allocated, and the Diamond Rattler refers to the title given to military organizations in the State of West Virginia.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 398th Infantry Regiment, Organized Reserves on 7 October 1933. It was redesignated for the 398th Infantry Regiment, Organized Reserve Corps on 21 August 1952. The insignia was redesignated for the 398th Regiment on 30 October 1961. It was amended to add the motto on 18 December 1961.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Azure, a bend wavy Argent, to base a Diamond Rattler gliding bendwise Proper.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Army Reserve: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Azure the Lexington Minute Man Proper. The statue of the Minute Man, Captain John Parker (H.H. Kitson, sculptor), stands on the Common in Lexington, Massachusetts.

Motto

ON THE ALERT.

Symbolism

Shield

The shield is blue for Infantry. The bend wavy represents the Kanawha River, the general district to which the organization was originally allocated, and the Diamond Rattler refers to the title given to military organizations in the State of West Virginia.

Crest

The crest is that of the United States Army Reserve.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 398th Infantry Regiment, Organized Reserves on 9 October 1933. It was redesignated for the 398th Parachute Infantry Regiment on 16 December 1946. It was redesignated for the 398th Infantry Regiment, Organized Reserve Corps on 21 August 1952. The insignia was redesignated for the 398th Regiment on 30 October 1961.





Jump to Top