274TH REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall blazoned: Per bend Argent and Azure, in sinister chief a Lorraine cross of the second and in dexter base a badger sejant erect Brün holding in its forepaws an axe of the first. Attached below and to the sides a Silver scroll inscribed "L'AVANT GARDE" in Blue letters.

Symbolism
The colors blue and white are used for Infantry. The cross of Lorraine symbolizes the Regiment's first campaign honor awarded for service in France during World War II. The badger represents Wisconsin, the home station of the organization. The axe alludes to the unit's original assignment and World War II service as part of the 70th Infantry Division. The motto translates to "The Vanguard."

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 274th Infantry Regiment on 7 November 1955. It was redesignated for the 274th Regiment on 8 August 1960.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Per bend Argent and Azure, in sinister chief a Lorraine cross of the second and in dexter base a badger sejant erect Proper holding in its forepaws an axe of the first.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Army Reserve: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Azure, the Lexington Minute Man Proper. The statue of the Minute Man, Captain John Parker (H.H. Kitson, sculptor), stands on the Common in Lexington, Massachusetts.

Motto

L'AVANT GARDE (The Vanguard).

Symbolism

Shield

The colors blue and white are used for Infantry. The cross of Lorraine symbolizes the Regiment's first campaign honor awarded for service in France during World War II. The badger represents Wisconsin, the home station of the organization. The axe alludes to the unit's original assignment and World War II service as part of the 70th Infantry Division.

Crest

The crest is that of the United States Army Reserve.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 274th Infantry Regiment on 7 November 1955. It was redesignated for the 274th Regiment on 8 August 1960.





Jump to Top