177TH REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Or, in chief on a pale wavy Gules a barrulet wavy of the first, abased overall a winged round of fixed antiaircraft ammunition the wings displayed all counterchanged. Attached below the scroll is a Yellow scroll inscribed "VIGILANT AND PREPARED" in Red.

Symbolism
The service of the former organization, the 177th Air Defense Artillery, is indicated by the winged antiaircraft ammunition which represents the unit's mission. Detroit, the organization's home area, is symbolized by the two wavy flanks of the shield connected by a wavy band alluding to the Detroit River which connects Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 227th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion on 9 January 1956. It was redesignated for the 177th Artillery Regiment on 2 September 1960. It was redesignated for the 177th Air Defense Artillery Regiment on 6 July 1972. The insignia was redesignated with the description and symbolism revised for the 177th Regiment on 7 November 1997.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Or, in chief on a pale wavy Gules a barrulet wavy of the first, abased overall a winged round of fixed antiaircraft ammunition the wings displayed all counterchanged.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Michigan Army National Guard: From a wreath Or and Gules, a griffin segreant Or.

Motto

VIGILANT AND PREPARED.

Symbolism

Shield

The service of the former organization, the 177th Air Defense Artillery, is indicated by the winged antiaircraft ammunition which represents the unit's mission. Detroit, the organization's home area, is symbolized by the two wavy flanks of the shield connected by a wavy band alluding to the Detroit River which connects Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair.

Crest

The crest is that of the Michigan Army National Guard.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 227th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion on 9 January 1956. It was redesignated for the 177th Artillery Regiment on 2 September 1960. It was redesignated for the 177th Air Defense Artillery Regiment on 6 July 1972. The insignia was redesignated with the blazon and symbolism revised for the 177th Regiment on 7 November 1997.





Jump to Top