169TH REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Argent, a saltire between in pale a fleur-de-lis, both Azure and a prickly pear cactus Vert; on a chief Gules a lion passant guardant Or. Attached below the shield is a Gold scroll inscribed "ARMIS STANT LEGES" in Blue.

Symbolism
The service of the former organization, the 169th Infantry Regiment, is indicated by the shield which is white for Infantry. The saltire symbolizes Civil War service; the fleur-de-lis World War service; and the cactus, Mexican Border duty. The red chief charged with the gold lion represents Revolutionary War service against the British "Red Coats," the lion being taken from the British coat of arms. The motto translates to "Laws Are Maintained By Force Of Arms."

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 169th Infantry Regiment on 2 March 1927. It was redesignated for the 169th Regiment with the description and symbolism revised on 17 September 1997.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Argent, a saltire between in pale a fleur-de-lis, both Azure and a prickly pear cactus Vert; on a chief Gules a lion passant guardant Or armed, langued and eyed Azure.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Connecticut Army National Guard: From a wreath Argent and Azure, a grapevine supported and fructed Proper.

Motto

ARMIS STANT LEGES (Laws Are Maintained By Force Of Arms).

Symbolism

Shield

The service of the former organization, the 169th Infantry Regiment, is indicated by the shield which is white for Infantry. The saltire symbolizes Civil War service; the fleur-de-lis World War service; and the cactus, Mexican Border duty. The red chief charged with the gold lion represents Revolutionary War service against the British "Red Coats," the lion being taken from the British coat of arms.

Crest

The crest is that of the Connecticut Army National Guard.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 169th Infantry Regiment on 2 March 1927. It was redesignated for the 169th Regiment with the blazon and symbolism revised on 17 September 1997.





Jump to Top