166TH REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per fess Gules and Or, on a canton of the second a saltire Azure. Attached below the shield a Blue scroll inscribed "FIRE FOR EFFECT" in Gold.

Symbolism
The service of the former organization, the 166th Field Artillery, is indicated by the divided shield which is red and yellow, representing the organization's assignment to the 22d Cavalry Division. The gold canton with the blue saltire thereon represents the unit's descent from Infantry through the two oldest units which were organized in 1858.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 166th Field Artillery Regiment on 9 May 1940. It was redesignated for the 166th Field Artillery Battalion on 22 June 1954. It was redesignated for the 166th Artillery Regiment on 21 August 1961. The insignia was redesignated for the 166th Field Artillery Regiment on 21 July 1975. It was redesignated for the 166th Regiment with the description and symbolism revised on 28 May 1997.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Per fess Gules and Or, on a canton of the second a saltire Azure.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard: From a wreath of the colors Or and Gules, a lion rampant guardant Proper, holding in dexter paw a naked scimitar Argent hilted Or and in sinister an escutcheon Argent on a fess Sable three plates.

Motto

FIRE FOR EFFECT.

Symbolism

Shield

The service of the former organization, the 166th Field Artillery, is indicated by the divided shield which is red and yellow, representing the organization's assignment to the 22d Cavalry Division. The gold canton with the blue saltire thereon represents the unit's descent from Infantry through the two oldest units which were organized in 1858.

Crest

The crest is that of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 166th Field Artillery Regiment on 9 May 1940. It was redesignated for the 166th Field Artillery Battalion on 22 June 1954. It was redesignated for the 166th Artillery Regiment on 21 August 1961. The insignia was redesignated for the 166th Field Artillery Regiment on 21 July 1975. It was redesignated for the 166th Regiment with the blazon and symbolism revised on 28 May 1997.





Jump to Top