ShieldPer chevron Sanguine and Argent in base the staff of Aesculapius paleways of the first.
CrestOn a wreath of the colors Argent and Sanguine a Greek cross of the first bearing a like cross triparted throughout Gules, all in front of an equilateral triangle, point up, Vert.
ShieldThe shield is sanguine, the nearest heraldic tincture to maroon and white, the colors of the predecessor unit, the Medical Department. The staff of Aesculapius alludes to the god of medicine.
CrestThe Battalion's World War II decoration, Meritorious Unit Citation, awarded for the period which largely included service at Anzio, Italy, an area noted for its network of canals, is indicated by the colors green, white, and red from the national flag of the Italian Republic. The three verticals and three horizontals of the triparted cross also refer to the unit's six campaign awards, World War II. Additionally, the white cross, an emblem from the coat of arms of the former kingdom of Italy, further signifies aid and assistance, the mission of the predecessor unit. The triangle suggested by the World War II triangle marking used for Armored vehicles, and the color green, the historic color for Armor, allude to the predecessor's campaign service as an Armored Medical Battalion.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 47th Medical Battalion (Armored) on 28 March 1941. It was redesignated for the 47th Armored Medical Battalion on 14 April 1942. It was redesignated for the 47th Medical Battalion on 11 September 1957. It was amended to add a crest on 5 September 1972. The insignia was redesignated for the 47th Support Battalion with the symbolism amended on 31 July 1987.