A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/4 inches (3.18cm) in width overall consisting of a blue disc bearing a white blockhouse with tower masoned and roofed gold below a gold scroll inscribed "SAN JUAN" in blue letters. Attached below the disc a gold scroll turned blue and inscribed "SEMPER PARATUS" in blue letters.
Blue is the color associated with Infantry. The house with tower depicts a blockhouse at San Juan Santiago de Cuba and commemorates the 1898 campaign service of the regiment.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 24th Infantry on 12 Jan 1923. It was amended to correct the motto on 21 Mar 1923; amended to add the authorization for wear of the DUI on 7 May 1923 and amended to add to the authorization for wear of the DUI on 21 Sep 1925. On 23 Oct 1925 it was amended to change the appearance of the DUI. The insignia was cancelled and a new insignia authorized on 17 May 1927.