US ARMY NORTH
Skip Navigation Links.
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia


Description/Blazon
On a red rectangular background with top corners chamfered at 45 having a 2 1/2 inch (6.35 cm) base, 2 3/4 inches (6.99 cm) in height and top 1 3/8 inches (3.49 cm), a silhouette of a mosque in blue charged with a white letter "A" 1 9/16 inches (3.97 cm) in height, members 3/16 inch (.48 cm) in width above a white number "5", 11/16 inch (1.75 cm) in height, members 1/8 inch (.32 cm) in width.

Symbolism
The flag colors of red, white, and blue are self-explanatory. The outlined figure of the mosque is symbolic of the country in which Fifth Army, the previous designation of the unit, was originally activated. The letter "A" indicates "Army", and conforms in general, to designs used by the First and Third United States Armies.

Background
The shoulder sleeve insignia originally approved for Fifth Army on 26 January 1927, was pentagon shaped with a white background and five red stars formed in a pentagon shape. The current design was originally approved for Fifth Army on 7 April 1943. It was redesignated for the Fifth United States Army effective 1 January 1957. The insignia was redesignated for United States Army North with the description and symbolism updated on 19 December 2006.




Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A device of silver color metal and enamel 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) in height overall consisting of a silver Florentine fleur-de-lis garnished with red buds and placed over the center of it a blue mosque tower with two silver stars on its base, two blue stars flanking its dome and a single blue star centered below it making a total of five stars positioned in the form of a "V".

Symbolism
The blue mosque is adapted from the US Army North shoulder sleeve insignia (formerly Fifth Army) and refers to the initial activation of the Headquarters, Fifth Army, in Morocco, North Africa, 5 January 1943. The Florentine style fleur-de-lis denotes service in Italy and the five stars the number of campaigns to the Fifth Army's credit. The "V" form alludes to the unit's numerical designation.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for Fifth United States Army on 31 October 1968. It was redesignated for United States Army North with the description and symbolism updated on 19 December 2006.





Jump to Top