On a Silver color metal and enamel device 1 5/32 inches (2.94 cm) in width overall, consisting of a shield-shaped emblem blazoned: Azure, within a bordure per bordure Argent and White, an apostrophized numeral ?89 in chief above the representation of a covered wagon arraswise of the second, the segmented tarp cover garnished Or. Attached above the shield a Blue scroll inscribed "1935" in Silver letters. Attached below the shield a Blue scroll inscribed "FIRST IN OKLAHOMA" in Silver letters.
The distinctive unit insignia bears the image of a prairie schooner beneath the numerals "89" which refer to the Great Oklahoma Land Run of 1889. The population of Guthrie before the land run had consisted of a few soldiers, deputy marshals and railroad personnel. But by nightfall of April 22, 1889, it had swollen to 10,000-15,000 people. The town of Guthrie was founded on this day. The scroll above the shield bears the numerals "1935", the year in which the Guthrie High School began its JROTC program. It is the oldest continuous, active JROTC unit in Oklahoma and the first JROTC unit established in Oklahoma. Thus the motto: "First in Oklahoma".
The shoulder loop insignia was approved on 27 February 2001.