On a white vertical rectangular embroidered device arched convexly at the top and bottom and edged with a 1/16 inch (.16 cm) black border, a tiger leaping toward the observer. Below the tiger is the inscription "DOUGLAS" in black letters. Surrounding the tiger is an orange band edged with a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) black border inscribed "TIGER BATTALION" in black letters in base. The overall dimensions are 3 1/2 inches (8.89 cm) in height and 3 inches (7.62 cm) in width.
Orange, black, and white are the school colors. The tiger is the school's mascot, and symbolizes fierceness, valor, and extreme courage. The school is named after Stephen Arnold Douglas, an American politician from the State of Illinois. Douglas was the Democratic Party nominee for President in 1860. He lost to the Republican Party's candidate, Abraham Lincoln, whom he had defeated two years earlier in a Senate contest following a famed series of debates. He was nicknamed the "Little Giant" because he was short but was considered by many a "giant" in politics.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was authorized 25 March 2009. (TIOH Drawing Number A-10A-882)