A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield reversed blazoned: Sable, a base Azure issuing from base a lighthouse Argent, lens Or, light rays throughout fesswise in chief Silver. Attached below the shield a Silver scroll inscribed "FIGHTING VIKINGS" in Black letters.
Blue and yellow are the school colors. The black area above the blue area suggests the night sky above the ocean and reflects the school's location near the sea. The lighthouse represents the one which existed at Cape Henlopen until 1926; it was the second lighthouse established in the new world by European colonists. The lighthouse also alludes to the cadet's dedication to school, community, and country.
The shoulder loop insignia was authorized 14 November 1995.