A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per chevron Buff and Azure, in base a torch palewise Argent flammant Proper. Attached is a Blue scroll enclosing the shield at top and bottom, doubled Silver, inscribed "SERVICE FOR" at top and "FREEDOM AND LIBERTY" at bottom, all in Silver letters.
Buff is the primary color for support units. The chevron-like division of the shield alludes to support and a wedge driven into enemy territory. The blazing torch being the symbol of freedom is representative of service for freedom and liberty and is suggestive of zeal and fire with those objectives in view.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 277th Quartermaster Battalion on 20 October 1942. It was rescinded on 29 September 1976. It was reinstated with the description revised for the 277th Quartermaster Battalion on 9 October 1986. It was redesignated with the description and symbolism updated effective 16 September 2005, for the 277th Support Battalion.