A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules (Crimson), between two flanks Or, a pheon point to chief in chief and a clarion in base of the last. Attached below the shield, a scroll inscribed "SAINTS OF SERVICE" in Black letters.
The colors crimson and yellow (gold) are the colors of the unit's immediate predecessor, the 748th Armored Ordnance Battalion, the pheon and clarion alluding to the two battle honors (New Guinea with arrowhead and Southern Philippines) awarded for service in World War II. The clarion is also a type of trumpet with clear, piercing tones and in being a form of signal refers to the transition to a Signal organization.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 748th Armored Ordnance Battalion on 8 January 1957. It was amended to change the wording in the blazon of the shield on 5 February 1957. The insignia was redesignated for the 146th Signal Battalion and amended to change the symbolism on 4 February 1969.