40TH SIGNAL BATTALION
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall consisting of the shield and motto of the coat of arms.

Symbolism
The background of the shield is black. The bend is orange bordered in silver for Signal Corps. The silver peach is symbolic of the State of Georgia, the origin of the cadre and original officers of the 29th Signal Construction Battalion. The horse's head represents the state of activation - Kentucky. The telephone poles are symbolic of telephone construction, the type of work done by this unit; the two poles represent the second unit from one origin - the 29th Signal Construction Battalion.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 40th Signal Construction Battalion on 6 Jan 1943. It was redesignated for the 40th Signal Battalion (Construction) on 30 Jul 1954. The insignia was amended to correct the update and correct the description on 23 Oct 2003.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Sable on a bend Tenné, fimbriated Argent between in chief a peach leaved and in base a horse's head couped two telephone poles of single arm each palewise of the third.

Crest

On a wreath of the colors Argent and Sable a mural crown of the first masoned Sable and charged with a lion passant guardant Azure, armed and langued Gules and enfiled by an oriental pole arm of the last.

Motto

BENE FACTUM (Well Done)

Symbolism

Shield

The background of the shield is black. The bend is orange bordered in silver for Signal Corps. The silver peach is symbolic of the State of Georgia, the origin of the cadre and original officers of the 29th Signal Construction Battalion. The horse's head represents the state of activation - Kentucky. The telephone poles are symbolic of telephone construction, the type of work done by this unit; the two poles represent the second unit from one origin - the 29th Signal Construction Battalion.

Crest

The lion adapted from the arms of Normandy commemorates the unit's initial combat service, while the mural crown with its five embattlements represents the total combined campaigns credited the organization for service in France and Europe during World War II. The polearm is indicative of service in Vietnam and its two outer scarlet blades allude to the Meritorious Unit Commendations awarded during that period.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved on 6 Jan 1943, for the 40th Signal Construction Battalion. On 30 Jul 1954, it was redesignated for the 40th Signal Battalion (Construction). The coat of arms was amended to include a crest to the design on 25 Apr 1973. The insignia was amended to correct the blazon of the shield on 23 Oct 2003.





Jump to Top