30TH SIGNAL BATTALION
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall, consisting of a shield blazoned: Per bend dove-tailed Argent and Tenné on the last a terrestrial sphere with latitude and longitude lines all of the first; the equator composed of nine telegraph poles Sable. Attached below the shield a silver scroll inscribed "FORTITER ET STRENUE" in black letters.

Symbolism
Orange and white are colors traditionally associated with the Signal Corps. The line of telegraph poles at the equator represents communications encircling the world and the willingness of the unit to perform its mission in any part of the world.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 30th Signal Construction Battalion on 6 Jan 1943. It was amended to change the blazon of the shield on 3 Mar 1943. On 15 Jun 1992 the insignia was redesignated, with description and symbolism revised, for the 30th Signal Battalion.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Per bend dove-tailed Argent and Tenné on the last a terrestrial sphere with latitude and longitude lines all of the first; the equator composed of nine telegraph poles Sable.

Crest

From a wreath Argent and Tenné four lightning bolts barbed radiating pilewise of the first, a Roman helm Or garnished Gules.

Motto

FORTITER ET STRENUE (Boldly and Strenuously)

Symbolism

Shield

Orange and white are colors traditionally associated with the Signal Corps. The line of telegraph poles at the equator represents communications encircling the world and the willingness of the unit to perform its mission in any part of the world.

Crest

The lightning flashes symbolize electronic technology and rapid deployment while denoting the battalion's four World War II campaigns. The Roman helmet suggests Italy and Rome and represents the Meritorious Unit Commendation earned by the unit during World War II. Gold is emblematic of high achievement.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved on 6 Jan 1943 for the 30th Signal Construction Battalion. It was amended to change the blazon of the shield on 3 Mar 1943. On 15 Jun 1992 the coat of arms was redesignated for the 30th Signal Battalion. The coat of arms was amended on 2 Aug 1996 to include a crest.





Jump to Top