A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Argent, issuant from base between two telegraph poles Tenné a radio tower Sable emitting in chief five flashes of the second. Attached below the shield an Orange scroll inscribed "FONS COMMUNICATIONES" in Silver letters.
Orange and white are the colors used for Signal Corps. The telegraph poles and radio tower symbolize the battalion's functions. The five flashes are used to represent the organization's World War II battle honors. The motto translates to "Fountain of Communications."
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 17th Signal Operation Battalion on 26 February 1953. It was redesignated for the 17th Signal Battalion on 16 January 1959.