Per chevron Gules and Azure, from partition line to chief a pale wavy of the second fimbriated Or, issuant from base a setting sun of the last, at nombril point a sea-griffin of the first fringed of the fourth.
That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Oregon Army National Guard: From a wreath Or and Gules, a demi-disc Gules charged with the setting sun with twelve light rays Or (the shoulder sleeve of the 41st Division), behind a beaver sejant Proper.
Nulli Cede (Surrender to None).
The service of the former organization, the 249th Artillery, is indicated by the red shield for Artillery. The blue portion represents the mouth of the Columbia River, the station of the 249th Coast Artillery. The setting sun is taken from the Oregon State seal, while the sea-griffin is the mythical guardian of treasure on land and sea.
The crest is that of the Oregon Army National Guard.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 249th Coast Artillery on 16 February 1928. It was redesignated for the 249th Coast Artillery Battalion on 4 December 1944. The insignia was redesignated for the 722d Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion on 27 November 1951. It was redesignated on 7 June 1960 for the 249th Artillery. The insignia was amended to correct the motto on 14 June 1968. The insignia was redesignated with description and symbolism revised for the 249th Regiment on 4 May 1998. It was amended to correct the letter on 21 September 2001.