240TH REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Argent, on a bend Azure ten mullets of the field between a portcullis Gules and a phoenix of the like rising out of flames Proper. Attached below the shield a Red scroll inscribed "SEMPER PRIMUS ET FIDELIS" in Silver.

Symbolism
Scarlet is the branch color used for Artillery units. The early service of the former organization, then the 240th Coast Artillery, is represented by the portcullis to symbolize its harbor defense mission. The phoenix is taken from the crest of the city of Portland, seaport and chief gateway of Maine (the original headquarters of the 240th Coast Artillery). It was also the crest of the Harbor Defenses of Portland of which the organization was a part during World War I. Further, it symbolizes the successive rejuvenations of the organization following the major wars in which the nation has participated. The blue signifies the organization's service as Infantry during the Civil War and the scarlet the service as Field Artillery during World War II. The stars represent the ten battles in which the unit was engaged in the Civil War.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 240th Coast Artillery (HD), Maine National Guard on 8 February 1929. It was redesignated for the 703d Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion on 2 February 1950. It was redesignated for the 703d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, Maine National Guard on 9 January 1956. The insignia was reassigned for the 240th Artillery, Maine National Guard on 16 May 1961. It was redesignated for the 262d Engineer Battalion and amended to change the symbolism of the design on 2 March 1971. The insignia was redesignated for the 240th Regiment, Maine Army National Guard, with description and symbolism revised on 5 March 1997. It was amended to correct the symbolism on 26 September 2014.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Argent, on a bend Azure ten mullets of the field between a portcullis Gules and a phoenix of the like rising out of flames Proper.

Crest

That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Maine Army National Guard: From a wreath Argent and Gules, a pine tree Proper.

Motto

SEMPER PRIMUS ET FIDELIS (Always, First and Faithful).

Symbolism

Shield

Scarlet is the branch color used for Artillery units. The early service of the former organization, then the 240th Coast Artillery, is represented by the portcullis to symbolize its harbor defense mission. The phoenix is taken from the crest of the city of Portland, seaport and chief gateway of Maine (the original headquarters of the 240th Coast Artillery). It was also the crest of the Harbor Defenses of Portland of which the organization was a part during World War I. Further, it symbolizes the successive rejuvenations of the organization following the major wars in which the nation has participated. The blue signifies the organization's service as Infantry during the Civil War and scarlet the service as Field Artillery during World War II. The stars represent the ten battles in which the unit was engaged in the Civil War.

Crest

The crest is that of the Maine Army National Guard.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 240th Coast Artillery (HD), Maine National Guard on 6 February 1929. It was amended to include revised history on 6 April 1929. It was redesignated for the 703d Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion on 2 February 1950. It was redesignated for the 703d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, Maine National Guard on 9 January 1956. The insignia was reassigned for the 240th Artillery, Maine National Guard on 16 May 1961. It was redesignated for the 262d Engineer Battalion and amended to change the symbolism of the design on 2 March 1971. The coat of arms was redesignated for the 240th Regiment, Maine Army National Guard, with blazon and symbolism revised on 5 March 1997. It was amended to correct the symbolism of the shield on 26 September 2014.





Jump to Top