WALTER REED NATIONAL MILITARY MEDICAL CENTER, US ARMY ELEMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) in height consisting of a shield and crest blazoned: SHIELD: Sanguine, a caduceus between in fess an open book and a flaming torch, all Argent. CREST: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Sanguine, the helmet of Minerva Argent. Attached below the shield a tripartite Maroon scroll inscribed "SCIENTIAE" "INTER ARMA" "SPIRITUS" in Silver letters.

Symbolism
The shield is in the colors of the Army Medical Service - maroon and white. The caduceus is the symbol of the Army Medical Service and the open book and flaming torch are symbols of knowledge. The crest is the helmet of Minerva, who was the Goddess of Wisdom and the Patroness of Medicine.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, on 7 January 1937. The insignia was redesignated for the Walter Reed Army Medical Center on 16 August 1954. It was redesignated effective 18 July 2011, for the U.S. Army Element, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and amended to update the description.




Device


Description/Blazon

Shield

Sanguine, a caduceus between in fess an open book and a flaming torch, all Argent.

Crest

On a wreath of the colors Argent and Sanguine, the helmet of Minerva Argent.

Motto

SCIENTIA INTER ARMA SPIRITUS (In the Spirit of Science and Arms).

Symbolism

Shield

Maroon and white are the colors traditionally used by the Army Medical Service. The caduceus is the symbol of the Army Medical Service and the open book and flaming torch are symbols of knowledge.

Crest

The crest is the helmet of Minerva, who was the Goddess of Wisdom and the Patroness of Medicine.

Background
The device was originally approved for the Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, on 28 April 1927. It was amended to add a crest on 22 May 1936. It was amended to add a motto on 8 January 1937. The device was redesignated for Walter Reed Army Medical Center on 16 August 1954. It was redesignated effective 18 July 2011, for the U.S. Army Element, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.





Jump to Top