508TH INFANTRY REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure, on a bend Argent a lion passant guardant Gules. Attached below the shield a Silver scroll inscribed "FURY FROM THE SKY" in Red letters.

Symbolism
The two principal colors of the shield are those of the Infantry. The lion on the distinctive unit insignia is the same as the French leopard used in the arms of Normandy, and commemorates the organization's landing and campaign in the province. The silver bar, called a bend, is in honor of the organization's crossing of the Rhine River.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 508th Airborne Infantry Regiment on 4 September 1951. It was amended to correct the wording of the description on 26 November 1951. It was redesignated for the 508th Infantry Regiment on 3 December 1962.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Azure, on a bend Argent a lion passant guardant Gules, armed and langued of the first.

Crest

On a wreath Argent and Azure a pheon with fourteen barbs, divided per pale Or and Sable in front of a wyvern statant Gules.

Motto

FURY FROM THE SKY.

Symbolism

Shield

The two principal colors of the shield are those of the Infantry. The lion on the coat of arms is the same as the French leopard used in the arms of Normandy, and commemorates the organization's landing and campaign in the province. The silver bar, called a bend, is in honor of the organization's crossing of the Rhine River.

Crest

The 508th Infantry (Airborne) service in World War II is symbolized by the wyvern taken from the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 508th Airborne Regimental Combat Team in which they were the primary element. The color red alludes to their nickname "Red Devils" current in that period. The arrowhead divided in two colors, yellow and black, refers to their two assault landings, Normandy and the Rhineland, and the fourteen notches of the arrowhead allude to the Regiment's fourteen decorations.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 508th Airborne Infantry Regiment on 4 September 1951. It was amended to correct the wording of the blazonry on 26 November 1951. The coat of arms was redesignated for the 508th Infantry Regiment on 3 December 1962. It was amended to add a crest on 23 September 1966.





Jump to Top