504TH INFANTRY REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure, a sword in bend Argent, hilt and pommel Or, fired Proper. Attached below the shield a gold scroll inscribed "STRIKE HOLD" in blue letters.

Symbolism
The blue is the color of the Infantry whose functions are represented by the sword, flaming through the sky, the flames symbolizing the zeal of the personnel in the performance of their duties. The motto is expressive of the determination of the personnel to strike swiftly and hold their ground at any cost.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment on 25 Jan 1943. It was redesignated on 2 Jun 1958 for the 504th Infantry Regiment.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Azure, a sword in bend Argent, hilt and pommel Or, fired Proper.

Crest

On a wreath Or and Azure, a bridge embattled of three arches tenné masoned of the First each arch surmounted by a pheon Argent on the battlements thereof a wyvern Sable winged of the Fourth armed and garnished of the First in base four waves transfluent barry wavy of three of the Fourth and Second.

Motto

STRIKE - HOLD.

Symbolism
The blue is the color of the Infantry whose functions are represented by the sword, flaming through the sky, the flames symbolizing the zeal of the personnel in the performance of their duties. The motto is expressive of the determination of the personnel to strike swiftly and hold their ground at any cost. The wyvern and the bridge stand for the Regiment's combat service in World War II at Anzio, Italy and at Nijegen Bridge, Holland for each of which actions the Distinguished Unit Citation was awarded. The wyvern is black in reference to the designation "black-hearted devils in baggy pants" given to paratroopers of the Regiment at Anzio. The bridge is orange for the Netherlands. The three pheons stand for the Regiment's three assault drops in Sicily, Anzio and the Rhineland.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 504th Infantry Regiment on 25 Jan 1943. It was redesignated for the 504th Airborne Infantry Regiment on 13 Aug 1952. The coat of arms was redesignated on 2 Jun 1958 for the 504th Infantry Regiment. On 3 Jun 1964 the coat of arms was amended to add a crest.





Jump to Top