502D INFANTRY REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure, issuant from chief, an eagle's claw, talons extended Or, armed Sable. Attached below the shield a gold motto scroll inscribed "STRIKE" in blue letters.

Symbolism
The blue is for Infantry. The grasping eagle's claw is a representation of the airborne functions of the organization. The motto is expressive of the power of the organization.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 502d Parachute Infantry Regiment on 14 Nov 1942. It was redesignated for the 502d Airborne Infantry Regiment on 5 Apr 1949. On 14 Feb 1958 the insignia was redesignated for the 502d Infantry.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Azure issuant from chief, an eagle's claw, talons extended Or, armed Sable.

Crest

On a wreath Or and Azure, an eagle's feather palewise Tenn behind two bayonets saltirewise of the first hilted Sable garnished Gold surmounted by a gun stone bearing a four-bastioned fort Argent charged with an ermine spot of the fourth.

Motto

STRIKE.

Symbolism

Shield

The blue of the shield is for Infantry. The grasping eagle's claw is a representation of the airborne functions of the organization.

Crest

The bayonets refer to the capture of Carentan, Normandy, by bayonet charge. They are two in number in reference to the Regiment's two Distinguished Unit Citations and its two assault landings in World War II. The eagle's feather stands for the unit's airborne function; orange, the national color of the Netherlands, refers to the liberation of Best, Holland. The white four-bastioned fort encircled by a black background represents Bastogne, Belgium, surrounded by the German salient in the Battle of the Bulge. The ermine spot on the white fort refers to the snow which blanketed the Battle's terrain.

Motto

The motto ''Strike'' is expressive of the power of the organization.


Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the approved for the 502d Parachute Infantry Regiment on 14 Nov 1942. It was redesignated for the 502d Airborne Infantry Regiment on 5 Apr 1949. On 14 Feb 1958 the coat of arms was redesignated for the 502d Infantry. The coat of arms was amended on 9 Jun 1965 to add the crest.





Jump to Top