ShieldAzure, on a mountain issuant from base Argent, an ice axe, and ski pole saltirewise points down Proper, in base a horseshoe inverted Gules.
CrestFrom a wreath Argent and Azure rising from a castle tower of three battlements Gules masoned Or charged with a fountain, a demi-catamountain Proper supporting a lance of the fourth with a split pennon parted fesswise Vert, of the first and of the third.
MottoVIRES MONTESQUE VINCIMUS (We Conquer Powers and Mountains).
ShieldThe shield bears a snow capped mountain to represent both the region where the organization first received its specialized training and the normal home of mountain troops. The crossed ski pole and ice axe are symbolic of the tools used by mountain troops, while the horseshoe indicates the pack element of the organization. The fact that the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment was the first organization of its kind is indicated by the single red horseshoe.
CrestThe red castle tower is reminiscent of the battle of Castel d'Aiano in Northern Italy, a bloody struggle against prepared positions, rough terrain, heavily mined areas, and enemy artillery fire; its three battlements stand for campaigns in the Aleutians, Northern Apennines, and Po Valley. The fountain (wavy white and blue-striped disc) represents the first crossing of the Po River which brought the 87th to the foothills of the Alps. The catamountain or wildcat personifies the fighting spirit, cunning, and aggressiveness of the Mountain Infantry, and the lance and pennant allude to the arms of the Province of Bologna where the unit emerged after fighting their way out of the Apennine Mountains.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment on 21 October 1942. It was redesignated on for the 87th Infantry Regiment on 13 December 1948. On 21 May 1956, the symbolism was amended to correct the translation of the motto. It was amended to change the wording in the blazonry of the shield and to add the crest on 7 December 1964. The insignia was amended to correct the translation of the motto on 26 February 2016.