58TH INFANTRY REGIMENT
Skip Navigation Links.
Distinctive Unit Insignia


Description/Blazon
A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure, a chevron rompu point enhanced Argent between in chief two fleurs-de-lis the dexter of the last the sinister Or, and in base on an inescutheon Vert fimbriated or the second (Argent) a cross patée of the like (for the 4th Infantry). Attached below the shield a silver scroll inscribed "LOVE OF COUNTRY" in blue letters.

Symbolism
This regiment was organized in 1917 from the Fourth Infantry shown on the small shield. The field is blue for Infantry. The regiment served in France in the Fourth Division shown by the ivy leaf from the shoulder insignia. The torpedo commemorates the first losses of the regiment when the Troop ship Moldavia carrying some of the regiment was torpedoed, May 23, 1918. The broken chevron commemorates the piercing of the German line between Soissons and Rheims, which are represented by the silver and golden fleurs-de-lis taken from the coat of arms of those cities respectively.

Background
The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 26 Nov 1958.




Coat of Arms


Description/Blazon

Shield

Azure, a chevron rompu point enhanced Argent between in chief two fleurs-de-lis the dexter of the last the sinister Or, and in base on an inescutheon Vert fimbriated or the second (Argent) a cross patée of the like (for the 4th Infantry).

Crest

On a wreath of the colors a torpedo Argent charged with an ivy leaf Vert.

Motto

LOVE OF COUNTRY.

Symbolism
This regiment was organized in 1917 from the Fourth Infantry shown on the small shield. The field is blue for Infantry. The regiment served in France in the Fourth Division shown by the ivy leaf from the shoulder insignia. The torpedo commemorates the first losses of the regiment when the Troop ship Moldavia carrying some of the regiment was torpedoed, May 23, 1918. The broken chevron commemorates the piercing of the German line between Soissons and Rheims, which are represented by the silver and golden fleurs-de-lis taken from the coat of arms of those cities respectively.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 58th Infantry Regiment on 18 Jun 1921. It was amended on 20 Mar 1924 to correct the shield. On 15 Aug 1942 it was redesignated for the 58th Infantry (Reinforced). The coat of arms was redesignated for the 58th Infantry on 26 Nov 1958.





Jump to Top