Azure, a sword bayonet in fess Or within a bordure of the like; on a canton Argent a cross of the field overall a cactus Proper.
On a wreath of the colors Or and Azure a six-bastioned fort Vert charged with a mullet Argent.
DEEDS NOT WORDS.
The field of the shield is blue, the Infantry color. The sword bayonet and bordure are taken from the unofficial insignia adopted by the 12th Division to which the 36th Infantry was assigned in 1918-1919. The Regiment was originally organized at Brownsville, Texas, with personnel from the 4th, 26th and 28th Infantry. These units are symbolized on the canton. The 4th and 28th Infantry both took part in the Vera Cruz expedition of 1914, the name suggesting the cross in blue for infantry. The cactus represents the Mexican border service of all three regiments.
The crest symbolizes the birthplace of the 36th Infantry. The origin of Brownsville was the fort built by General Zachary Taylor in 1846, known as Fort Texas. During the Mexican War the 4th Infantry participated in the battles of Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma, which were fought for the defense of Fort Texas. This is shown by the six-bastioned fort in green, an allusion to the Mexican color, charged with the lone star of Texas.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 36th Infantry Regiment on 26 Jan 1920. It was redesignated for the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment on 22 Apr 1942. On 10 Feb 1948 the coat of arms was redesignated for the 36th Armored Infantry Battalion. It was redesignated for the 36th Infantry on 24 Jul 1958.