A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height, blazoned: Gules, a fox courant Proper gorged with a collar Or within a border of the last. Attached below the shield, a Red scroll turned back and inscribed "READY, SIR!" in Gold.
The red shield indicates the unit's original allocation as Artillery. The former organization descended from the 178th Field Artillery and uses its coat of arms placed within a border to represent this descent. The term "fox" was used by the Regiment in its field communications for some years and was symbolic of the pride in the Regiment's ability to move long distances on schedule.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 248th Field Artillery Battalion on 2 June 1952. It was rescinded on 20 July 1960. The insignia was reinstated and redesignated for the 178th Engineer Battalion with the description and symbolism revised effective 1 October 1993.